Whoever figured out the secrets of mass-distilling essential oils deserves the thanks of every green homemaker! Many of these lovely smelling potions were once so expensive to produce that only the wealthy could afford them, and they were used almost exclusively for perfumes. But now, they are affordable enough to use on a daily basis for home cleaning purposes, which is particularly wonderful since science has shown what amazing cleaning properties they have!
If you’re not already stocking your cleaning supplies with essential oils, you definitely should! Here are our six favorite essential oils for home cleaning.
- Lavender- With its soothing herbal scent and powerful antibacterial properties, lavender oil is a great natural cleaning aid to have around the house. It’s also one of the easiest essential oils to find in stores. Experiment with adding it to homemade or unscented dish soaps and laundry detergents to freshen your home.
- Tea Tree- Tea tree oil (or Melaleuca) is one of the strongest natural antifungals available. It’s also antibacterial and antiviral. Use it in a water-based spray to clean counter tops and bathroom surfaces, or to prevent mold growth in the shower. You can also make homemade antibacterial wipes, gels, or hand soaps with this wonder of nature.
- Lemon and Orange- Citrus oils, especially lemon and orange, are excellent at cutting grease, while filling your home with a sunny, sweet aroma. Use them mixed with a carrier oil like olive oil for wood furniture polish and natural wood floor cleaner, or by themselves to lift grease from the stove-top. Lemon oil is also antibacterial and antiviral—so combine a few drops with water in a spray bottle to use as a surface disinfectant.
- Rosemary- Use rosemary oil as an antibacterial and antiseptic air freshening spray. Its fragrance is warm and earthy, and many people say that the scent of rosemary helps improve their focus. Scientific research has shown that rosemary oil contains compounds that could have a positive effect on memory, so definitely use this spray if you’re constantly forgetting where you put your keys!
- Peppermint- Peppermint oil is another great antibacterial choice, and its cool, fresh aroma makes your house smell like Christmas! It’s also an effective pest deterrent for spiders, as well as ants, flies, and other insects.
- Thyme- This oil is one of the most effective germicides Mother Nature has to offer. It’s even effective against salmonella, so you can use it in a soap or spray to clean cutting boards and other surfaces that have been touched by raw meat.
At Green Home Cleaning, we use essential oils in our homemade cleaning products to ensure a deep clean and an uplifting mood in our clients’ homes. If you live in the Asheville, NC area and would like to see the difference Green Home Cleaning can make for your home, give us a call at 828.505.7320 or drop us a line via our contact form.